Last Christmas, my parents gifted us with a dining room set. The cushions of the chairs were covered in this latte brown upholstery fabric. The weaves were prominent and screamed “cat scratch pads.”
So the very afternoon that the dining set was delivered to our home, I covered the original cushions with this white and yellow floral fabric. After half a year, the white fabric became too dirty and sad.
I’ve been planning to replace the cover for several weeks now. Unfortunately, there is a huge gulf between making plans and actually going out to buy fabric. Everything came to fruition when a girl friend and I met up for late lunch several days ago. I guess we can also call it serendipity when that very same afternoon, the fabric section of this mall I frequent was having a sale on old stocks of upholstery fabric.
I bought the last three meters of this rusty orange beauty and the last five of the chocolate brown version. Everything weighed almost a kilo. I lugged them suckers around the mall; it is not right to pass up on pretty fabric. On sale.
As the title of this post states, this was elementary upholstery. I simply cut a square shape and then pinned the sides to the underside of the chair’s original cushion. The hardest part was the assisting kitten. The new rescue, Dwarf, is very hands on… er… paws on. Unlike the other four older cats who prefer to watch while I cut fabric or hammer on things, Dwarf likes to “assist.” Needless to say, giving these chairs a makeover was quite thrilling.
No animals or humans were harmed in the making of this post.