Hello, beautiful people. Let me introduce you to my new bag. She is having an identity crisis at the moment. She doesn’t know if she is cupcake or scallop-inspired. She doesn’t know if she is an everyday tote or only a summer bag. She doesn’t know much but she does know how she was made.
Which, leads us to this scalloped tote tutorial.
A – Cut 4 pieces. These will be for the front, back, and lining of your bag. Make sure that your scallops are evenly spaced. You can use a bowl or any circular thing to make the scallops.
B – Cut 2 pieces. This is a strip of fabric that you will sew to the lining.
C – Cut 4 pieces. This is the strap.
You can also add rectangular pieces of fabric for the interior pockets. Add .5-inch seams all around for all pieces.
Magnetic snaps, matching thread, sewing machine, scissors.
1. Sew the straps. Set aside.
2. If you want to add pockets, sew them to the lining.
3. Take your lining pieces, sew the sides, right sides together. Sew the bottom but leave a 4-inch allowance.
4. Make a gusset. Make a 1.5-inch mark from the side and bottom stitch line. Trace the mark to the other side. Sew from one point to the other. Cut off excess. Follow the same steps for making a gusset to the other bottom corner of your lining.
5. Take your bag exterior pieces and sew the sides and bottom, right sides together. You do not need to leave an allowance along the bottom. You will, however, make gussets, too. Follow the 4th step.
6. Turn the exterior inside out and insert into the lining, like so:
7. Pin the scalloped opening, exterior to lining. Make sure that the curves are aligned nicely. Sew, exterior to lining, like so:
8. Snip the seam of your scalloped bag opening. You can also use pinking shears. DO NOT CUT THE STITCH LINE.
9. Turn your bag inside out via the allowance along the bottom of your lining. Flatten the scalloped opening and top stitch.
10. Take your B pieces and attach magnetic snaps. Since we have a slightly big bag opening, you will have to attach two pairs of magnetic snaps. I positioned mine 5 inches from the sides. HOW TO ATTACH MAGNETIC SNAPS.
11. Sew the sides of your B pieces, right sides together, like so:
12. Fold the seam allowances of your B and then attach to the lining of your bag, like so:
13. Sew B to your lining but make sure that you insert the straps first. The straps have to be aligned and secure, sandwiched between the B strip and your bag.
14. Sew the allowance along the lining bottom shut.
15. Rejoice because you’re done.
1. The straps of this bag are attached via the B strip because I didn’t want them to ruin the scallop-ness of the opening. If the straps were connected right by the scallops, the opening will likely be stretched, giving us scallops all askew.
2. More sweet scallop DIY inspiration.LINK PARTIES