And we’re back to our tutorial post schedule!
Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I was finally able to take care of this jewelry roll commission. The lovely lady who asked me to sew this said that she preferred this over a jewelry box . The latter screams “Hey, look at me! I have shiny things you can steal!” while a roll can be stashed with your clothes. I went: Huh. That’s clever.
So here’s what I came up with:
And I wrote a tutorial woot.
To make a DIY jewelry roll or case, you will need:
printed outer fabric (with interfacing) – 12 x 10 inches
plain inner fabric – 12 x 10 inches
printed fabric for pockets (see first photo below) – 2 pieces for each pockets and with allowance on all sides
5 printed fabric strips (with interfacing) – 4 x 1 inch (with allowance on all sides)
2 zipped pocket fabric pieces – 4 x 9 inches each (with allowance on all sides)
middle flap fabrics (one plain and one printed) – 9 x 4 inches with allowance on all sides
5 automatic snap sets
satin ribbon – 20 inches
Allrighty, let’s get sewin’.
1. Sew the middle flap of your DIY jewelry roll or case. Pin the fabric pieces, right sides together. Sew 3 sides, leaving one short side unsewn. Turn inside out and top stitch the sides.
2. Next we sew the strips. The interfacing of these strips should measure 1 x 4 inches, WITHOUT allowance. Fold one short side inward, then fold the long sides, making sure the raw edges are tucked inside. Sew.
These strips should have one raw short sides.
3. Up next, we sew the middle pockets. Mine had a curvy top but yours can be the standard triangular type.
Sew the sides and top, turn inside out, and top stitch. The bottom should be left unsewn.
4. Measure 4 inches from each corner of your plain fabric. Mark these 4-inch points. They will serve as your guide on how to divide your roll into 3 sections.
5. Arrange the strips on the first section (leftmost). The strips should be around an inch apart.
6. Mark where each strip end lies along the middle (see my white chalk marks above). Hand sew the automatic snaps. One should go to the marks on your plain fabric. Their pairs should be attached to the non-raw short side of each fabric strip.
7. Sew the middle pockets onto the middle section of your DIY jewelry roll. Make sure to fold the raw bottom edges when you sew the pockets.
8. Next we sew the zipped pocket of your DIY jewelry case or roll. Draw your zipper hole guide on the wrong side of one of your fabric pieces. This should be 8 x 1/2 inch. Sew this slim triangle form, with this pocket piece facing the right side of the rightmost section of your DIY jewelry case.
9. Cut the middle section. Follow the photo above.
10. Through the zipper hole, slip this pocket fabric to the other side. Flatten.
11. Pin the zipper. Sew around the mouth.
12. Take your other zipped pocket fabric and sew it to the one already attached to your DIY jewelry roll.
13. Position the middle flap and your satin ribbon (folded). Make sure the strips to the left are pinned straight horizontally, too.
Lay down the printed outer fabric on top. Sew around, leaving an allowance for turning inside out.
Turn inside out and top stitch all around.
And you’re done!